TURN YOUR CREATIVE DREAM INTO
A BUSINESS REALITY
Are you an artist or a creative individual? Want to go out on your own, build a following, and make money? Want to avoid being exploited? Business Acumen for Artists is a course designed to
help you understand the business side of art and creativity.
Venue: Presented at the Cape Town Creative Academy at the silo building V&A Waterfront.
BUSINESS ACUMEN FOR ARTISTS
BAA is a powerful, practical short course designed to teach artists and creative professionals the basics of business so that they can sustainably build and run their own creative businesses. Covering everything from sales and marketing to pricing and negotiation, the course is uniquely tailored to creatives.
Many artists join the program holding a difficult relationship with money. Selling creativity doesn’t mean selling out. When you don’t have to struggle for money, when you can heal your relationship to finance, you find there’s even more creativity available and far less compromise.
BAA will show you how business has its own creativity and beauty, that it can be both empowering and enabling for you. You don’t need to do a whole degree for this. In three months’ time you’ll master the core concepts. You are going to network and connect with fellow creatives and artists. You’ll be joining an alumni network going back many years.
And of course, you’ll get the certificate.
This course has successfully pioneered an approach to business education for creatives that combines the leadership aspects of business along with more individual exploration concerning your relationship with selling your work, having buyers and building a commercially viable body of work. Over the course of three months, you will develop your business concept and refine it into an attractive offering that you can take to market. Many previous attendees have gone on to commercialise their course projects immediately and successfully.
WHO THE COURSE IS FOR
This course is for creative individuals who want to sell their work or commercialise their offering. Alumni include actors, authors, architects, ceramicists, designers, decorators, directors, fine artists, freelancers, illustrators, photographers, poets, jewellers, directors, YouTubers, and many more.
BY THE END OF THE COURSE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO:
- Make the mindshift from Artist to Creative Entrepreneur
- Understand the language of business
- Translate your work into a viable product or service
- Have a healthier relationship with money
- Create and finalise an entrepreneurial plan
- Gain clarity on how to price a product or service
- Hone a sales and prospecting mindset
- Develop a marketing strategy on a shoestring budget
- Learn how to sell your offerings online
- Negotiate decisively when pitching your product
- Strengthen your own leadership agility and resilience
- Enjoy peer mentoring for support and feedback
- Network and learn from other creative professionals
- Build a community of practice
For more information contact:
+27 (0) 21 201 1150